When looking for a doctor, you don’t just put names in a hat; and you shouldn’t when looking for an HVAC contractor in New York City, either. If you’re looking to have work done on your home, you must first find a reliable contractor. Don’t start sweating just yet – Interstate Air Conditioning & Heating is on your side. We’ve compiled a list of steps you could follow to find the right contractor for you.
- Your family and friends may have recently had some work done on their homes. Ask if they were satisfied with the results and jot down their contractor’s name and number.
- You can find reviews for just about any product or service online. Just Google a contractor’s name (or contractors in your zip code) and read all about them by past customers’.
- If you really want to be a stickler, you can check out the contractor with your local trade association, building department, consumer fraud unit, consumer protection agency, or the Better Business Bureau.
- Make sure the contractor has a guarantee. You’ll want to be sure that the work comes out exactly to your agreed upon specifications, but you’ll also want to be sure that if it does not, there’s a written guarantee that the work will be improved until you’re happy with it.
- Look for photos of past jobs done by that contractor. Do the homes look polished, clean, and put together? If the photos are amateur or portray a sloppy job, look elsewhere.
- Check out the contractor’s website. Nowadays, 99% of reputable companies have a website. Does it look legitimate and professional? Do you see the aforementioned customer reviews, photos of past projects, and license number? If you do, give him/her a call. If you don’t, move on.
Hopefully this list has eased your mind a bit about finding a contractor. The more research you do, the better your outcome will be!Construction Safety Tips » « How to prevent a water leak?